Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Thing 15: Roll your own search engine

Well, I tried Rollyo and I can see where it can be of great benefit. I visit some of the rescue organization sites for Cavalier King Charles Spaniels nearly every day, so I thought it would be great to see if I could make a Rollyo search.

Each day I visit Pet Harbor (the database used by the Humane Society of Broward County, Broward County Animal Control, and similar organizations in South Florida); Petfinder; Cavalier Rescue USA, and Lucky Star Cavalier Rescue. I created my Rollyo account and added those four websites to be searched.

My test search used the term "blenheim", which is the coloration of my own CKCS, Barkley. It only retrieved results from Lucky Star and Cavalier Rescue, and one listing of a pair of adopted dogs from Petfinder. Bottom line: this particular search isn't appropriate for Rollyo as I can simply visit those sites daily and spend a few seconds to review new dogs. Actually, Pet Harbor and PetFinder send daily update e-mails when new dogs matching your criteria are listed.

Try your hand at searching for a rescue Cavalier! Here is my Rollyo:



1 comment:

Sedona Dee said...

Hi Debby:

You have a very impressive blog with many different personalized features, and I can see how you are just crazy about your new baby!!!
I was wondering if you could help me with rollyo. After I post in my blog about rollyo, I don't know how to add the rolled search to my blog using the "create a search box" tool.
Where is the "create a search box" tool and how do I link it to my blog? And thanks for your help.
Dorothy Zuncic