Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Thing 14: LibraryThing

Well, I know I am going to get kicked out of the librarian's clubhouse for saying this...but I find LibraryThing tedious. Honestly, I can see why so many people think it is cool and why it is so popular, but for me, it is a time waster.

I am very odd in that I don't really like to own too many books. I work in one of the world's best libraries and if I need something, I simply borrow it. If BCL doesn't have it, I order it through ILL. Once in a while I will buy a book after I've borrowed it so that I can refer to it again and again, but in most cases once I'm doing reading a book I have no need to keep it.

I entered five books and was not surprised to see that they are not popular...they are diving and kayaking guides. I spent a little time reviewing and tagging one of them, but I got bored with it. While the social networking aspect of LibraryThing is awesome for fiction and more popular nonfiction, the type of books that I am interested are owned by too few other members for me to benefit from the 2.0 aspects of it.

But don't misunderstand, I am not a sourpuss about LibraryThing! I think it is an AWESOME tool. Many of my friends do keep some type of catalog of the books they own. For me, I own too few books, probably less than 100, to have a need for a personal catalog.

The widgets are pretty cool. So here you go, the widget for the five books I catalogued from my personal library.

No comments: